The FSWC is prescribed as a class of persons who are skilled workers, who may become permanent residents on the basis of their ability to become economically established in Canada, and who intend to reside in a province other than Quebec.

If you meet all the minimum requirements, we’ll then assess your application based on

  • • age
  • • education
  • • work experience
  • • whether you have a valid job offer
  • • English and/or French language skills
  • • adaptability (how well you’re likely to settle here)

These factors are part of a 100-point grid used to assess eligibility for the Federal Skilled Worker Program. You earn points for how well you do in each of the 6 factors. The current pass mark is 67 points.

Eligible job groups:

  • • Managerial jobs (skill type 0)
  • • Professional jobs (skill level A)
  • • Technical jobs and skilled trades (skill level B)

Your skilled work experience must be

  • in the same type of job as the job you want to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation)
  • • within the last 10 years
  • • paid work (have been paid wages or earned commission—volunteer work or this means you must unpaid internships don’t count)
  • • at least 1 year of continuous work or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week)—you can meet this in a few different ways:
    • • Full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1year fulltime (1,560 hours)
    • • Equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months =1year full time (1,560 hours)
    • • Full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1year full time (1,560 hours)

Language ability

First official language

  • • Language: Minimum level for all four abilities
  • • English: CLB 7
  • • French: NCLC74

Second official language: Minimum level of CLB or NCLC 5


If you have a foreign education, you must have:

a completed credential, and an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for immigration purposes from a designated organization showing that your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:

  • • the secondary institution (high school) or
  • • post-secondary institution

Proof of fund:

You must show that you have enough money for you and your family to settle in Canada unless you

  • •are currently able to legally work in Canada and
  • •have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada

For more detailed information about this program and to find out if you are eligible, please
contact our office to discuss your options and further assistance.

For More Detailed Information
About this Program